Pages

Wednesday 2 April 2014

Poem...


The Orange

By Wendy Cope

At lunchtime I bought a huge orange
The size of it made us all laugh.
I peeled it and shared it with Robert and Dave-
They got quarters and I had a half.

And that orange it made me so happy,
As ordinary things often do
Just lately.  The shopping. A walk in the park
This is peace and contentment.  It's new.

The rest of the day was quite easy.
I did all my jobs on the list
And enjoyed them and had some time over.
I love you.  I'm glad I exist.




10 comments:

  1. Hadn't heard this before, and I love it; just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sort of hits the spot for me after a very dark winter.

      LLX

      Delete
  2. I love contemporary poetry, and this is a lovely one. I'm glad you exist, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah! Thank you Elaine, you will of course know exactly where I'm coming from on this. Well re. Lettice anyway if not other posts!

      LLX

      Delete
  3. Sweet thoughts to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy thought-provoking words, just the ticket!

      LLX

      Delete
  4. Happy poem. I worked with a Chinese lady who finished her lunch every day with an orange. Something in that I think. Though, chocolate cake would work for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was pregnant I ate oranges by the bagful. I'm a firm believer of the ole bod telling you what it requires, so if it's chocolate cake for you Carol then so be it.

      LLX

      Delete
  5. just about says it all really doesn't it?
    loverly

    ReplyDelete